Sunday, April 20, 2014

Rainbow Cake

My kids know that I like to make cakes. They also know that I take a lot of special orders. My daughter Lucy started a trend two years ago where she would google cake ideas and show me what she wanted. That's how I ended up learning to use fondant trying to make the "funky girl birthday cake" she had googled. It wasn't quite like the original, but it was a good try:
Fondant bows can be quite tricky when you've never used fondant before!



This year, Sophie informed me that she wanted a rainbow cake. Her exact words were: "Mama, here's the cake I want. It has 6 different colored layers and I really like the petal frosting on the outside. If you don't know how to do it, there's a YouTube tutorial online I can show you."

Um...okay, Soph. Challenge accepted. It just so happens that even though I probably have about 50 cake pans, I only have 1 round one in the size I wanted to make those layers. That made for a really fun routine of dyeing 6 bowls of batter, throwing one into the oven, waiting 16 minutes, popping it on a cooling rack, and throwing in the next one. And repeat - a bunch of times. There's 96 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

I dutifully watched Sophie's tutorial on the petal technique while I was waiting for cakes to cool. I leveled the layers, slapped on some frosting in between, and crumb-coated the whole thing. It was a monster.

Once everything had set in the fridge, I proceeded to make more of a mess by coloring six bowls of buttercream. (Remind me to encourage my kids to stick to a monochromatic theme from now on.)

The petal technique wasn't too terrible. I know I'll be able to tweak it if I ever do it again to make the rows straighter and watch for gaps. But, for a first time, it wasn't too bad. I was a little panicked after the first two rows that it looked pretty awful but, once the cake was covered, I liked it.

Wait, this isn't how you cut your cakes? (I was having a mini heart attack that Sensei's sword was going to knock the whole cake over...)
I was pleased with how the frosting on the outside matched up with the layers on the inside - the crumb coating prevented me from being able to tell how it was lining up.
Now, that's what I call a slice of cake! (I gave each kid two layers, because those slices were bigger than their heads.)
The finished product
It was a lot of work, and my kitchen was filled with messy bowls of rainbow colors, but Sophie LOVED her rainbow cake. (And it was a big hit with the 6 & 7 year old set!)



**Don't forget that if you're in the Boston area and need some cake you can:

1.) send me an email (thecakebeast@gmail.com
or 
2.) use the contact form on the right sidebar to tell me what you need!

By the way, did you remember to stop by and "like" my Facebook page?

And don't forget to follow me on Twitter!




No comments:

Post a Comment